Imagine an eco-conscious world where we don’t need thousands of liters of water to wash out a blue jean, astronomical amounts of toxic dyes to print this famous blue or tons of sand thrown by high-pressure to make it older, a very dangerous process for workers. Well for nearly three years now, this has been possible! Read more
Can you imagine of the rearing of cows on water? This is a remarkable project of 2.5 million Euros by Rotterdam’s floating dairy farm aiming at reconnecting Rotterdam’s inhabitants with their food. Moored in the port of Rotterdam, the floating farm will be inaugurated in January 2017. Its 40 cows produce 1 200 liters of milk per day, processed and sold locally. (Article published in The Guardian by Senay Boztas, 4 July 2016) Read more
Consensus materializes around a very important fact: it is imperative that we move quickly to clean energy. However, even the best case scenario would not be enough to avoid climate catastrophe. Reason: the burning of fossil represents only about 70% of all emissions of greenhouse gases. The remaining 30% are from various causes that must also be addressed. Read more
It is a very ambitious project. The Ouarzazate Park, in the Sahara desert to the southeast of Casablanca, will become the largest solar power complex in the world. According to its promoters, the total capacity of power generation will be 580 megawatts (MW). Jeune Afrique magazine presents five aspects of the Noor solar plant.
The first part, called Noor-1, was launched in February 2016 while Morocco hosts in December the COP 22. The project will soon be supplemented by three other solar fields: Noor-2, Noor-3 and Noor-4.
- 3 437 football fields
The first phase, Noor 1, spans over 400 hectares. But ultimately, when the other three phases of the project are completed, the plant is expected to extend over 3093 hectares, which would be equivalent to the size of 3437 football pitches.
- Electricity for one million homes
Noor-1 will have a production capacity of 160 megawatts. It is the “greatest production ever developed in the world,” the Moroccan Agency for Solar Energy (MASEN) told. The solar panels will include more than 20,000 collectors which follow the movement of the sun throughout the day. The energy produced will then be stored for three hours, thereby producing electricity even when the sun is set. When all four phases are completed, it should be able to provide electricity to one million homes.
- Provide 52% of energy needs for Morocco in 2030
The objective of this project is to supply Morocco from 52% of its energy needs from renewable energy by 2030 because the energy bill is quite bulky for the Moroccan economy.
- 240,000 tons of CO2 each year
According to the African Development Bank, the first phase will prevent the return of 240 000 tons of CO2 per year; that is, 6 million tons of CO2 in 25 years of operation. When Noor-2 and Noor-3 will be functional, 19 million tons of CO2 will be avoided in 25 years, said ADB said.
- Costing $ 9 billion
A huge investment of $ 9 billion must be raised to complete the project. The African Development Bank, the World Bank, the European Investment Bank and several private partners are involved in this project. The German development Bank KFW has provided principle funding of € 400 million while some € 800 million has been invested in the project.
Exit disposable packaging but not the quality or the service. My RestoBox has the ambition to offer the same services as in the restaurant, but at home and responsibly.
My RestoBox is a home meal delivery company on the principle of “zero waste”. According to its President Patrice Faye, “packaging can represent 10% of turnover in the home delivery sector. It is an economic and environmental disaster.”
The homemade dishes from quality products are delivered with 100% run electric vehicles in returnable and reusable boxes. At the end of your meal, you can even alert the server, by sending a message, for them to come and get rid of the box in a few minutes.
Sustainable and connected economy
My RestoBox is also a human-oriented project since it pursued a policy favouring the integration of people in difficulty allowing them to get some money and the possibility to donate to associations working against hunger in the world.
Many inhabitants of Lille are already seduced by this innovative concept; in participating in the Third Industrial Revolution in Nord-Pas-de-Calais – Picardie, based on sustainable and connected economy.